1. Contest Period: The Entry Period for the Contest begins at 10:00:01 a.m. Eastern Standard Time ("ET") on February 1, 2011 and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. ET on November 30, 2012.
2. Eligibility: The Contest is open to all contestants in the United States, Mexico and Canada. Parents of children younger than 18 must complete a Release Form at the time of application which the Sponsor may later request. All applications must be written (typed) in English.
3. How To Enter The Contest: You may enter a Contest by visiting www.risingstar31.com and submitting an original video file of an appropriate length (the "Entry") which references the characters, dialogue, or a musical scene featured in A Detour to Mexico, completing the required application process with a registration fee of $10.00.
The person uploading the Entry will be deemed the official entrant (the "Entrant"). By submitting an Entry, you attest that you have made all those depicted in the Entry aware that you are entering a video in the Contest and all depicted have agreed that you may submit such video. You must obtain signed release forms from each person (or parent/legal guardian of any minor under 18 years of age) appearing in your entry. A Release Form is available at: http://risingstar31.com/release-form.html
You may be required, in Sponsor's sole discretion, to provide a copy of the signed Release Forms from each person appearing in your Entry to Sponsor upon request.
By entering, you understand that your Entry in its entirety or portion thereof may (in Sponsor's sole discretion) be posted on the Website, television and/or other Sponsor-selected media.
All Entries must be completed, submitted and received by 11:59:59 p.m. ET on November 30, 2012, to be eligible for voting and judging. Normal Internet access and usage charges imposed by Entrants' online service will apply.
4. Copyright: Entrants are granted a limited, non-exclusive, one-time use license to utilize text and images from the book A Detour to Mexico solely for the purpose of entering this Contest. Entrants shall in no case receive any right or license to use such text or images except as used in the Entry Material submitted to Sponsor, and such Entry Material (including any copyrights) shall become the sole property of Sponsor. Use of music by other artists must be acknowledged in the introduction of the video and in submitted entry forms, by writing a statement such as "We are performing to Aretha Franklin's song, "Respect."
5. Entry Requirements: Entrants must comply with registration instructions when submitting their Entry. The video must be downloaded to YouTube, using a commonly accepted file format such as AVI, WMV and MOV. Each video entry must be entitled: "A Detour to Mexico Video;__________" followed by the subtitle you have chosen for it. A brief statement should be included that identifies the scene which inspired the participant's video project.
The Entry may not contain obscene, lewd or inappropriate images or text. There should be no nudity, acts of violence or acts that appear to cause harm or are illegal/dangerous, as determined in Sponsor's sole discretion. Any Entry Material or portion thereof that is, in the Sponsor's sole discretion, obscene, profane, lewd, defamatory, contains any third party materials (apart from text from A Detour to Mexico, as described in Paragraph 4 above) or otherwise violates or infringes (or may infringe) any copyright (including music), trademark, logo, mark that identifies a brand or other proprietary right of any person living or deceased (including but not limited to rights of privacy or publicity or portrayal in a false light) or entity, or is otherwise objectionable, will not be considered and may disqualify the Entrant. Therefore, clothing worn or props/items used in the video should not contain any visible logos (like Coke, Pepsi or restaurant signs), drawings, cartoons, phrases, trademarks or other third-party materials except as described in Paragraph 4 above. Entrants may not copy or otherwise plagiarize the Entry Material from any source except as described in Paragraph 4 above.
All Entries must be the sole, original work of the Entrants except as described in Paragraph 4 above. By submitting an Entry, Entrant hereby grants the Sponsor, designees and legal representatives the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide digital and other rights to use, reproduce, edit, market, store, distribute, have distributed, publicly and privately display, communicate, publicly and privately perform, transmit, have transmitted, create derivative works based upon, and promote the Entries or excerpts of Entries (as such may be edited and modified by the Sponsor in its discretion) for editorial, commercial, promotional and all other purposes (including posting on Sponsor-affiliated websites, Website, television and/or other Sponsor-selected media). In addition, Entrant hereby assigns to the Sponsor all rights, titles, and interests that he/she may be deemed to have in any reproduction, product, or derivative work using or incorporating the Entry. Entrant further agrees to waive any moral rights in the Entry.
Automated, script, macro or robotic Entries submitted by individuals or organizations will be disqualified. If, in Sponsor's sole discretion, the Entry appears to have resulted in any injury or bodily harm, it will be rejected. Entries must be in keeping with Sponsor's image and may not be offensive, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, nor can it defame or infringe the copyrights, publicity rights or privacy rights of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person's personal or proprietary rights. In such an event, it will be disqualified from the Contest. Submitted Entries (or portions thereof) may be posted on the Website after they have been screened. Any Entry deemed inappropriate or unsuitable or in bad taste, in Sponsor's sole discretion will be disqualified and may be removed from the Website at any time. Any Entry not in compliance with the above and which does not meet the requirements of these Official Rules and those of the Website will be disqualified.
All Entries submitted become the property of the Sponsor and will not be returned. No information regarding Entries or judging, other than as otherwise set forth in the Official Rules will be disclosed.
6. Voting to determine the Finalists:
The public is invited to participate in the judging of contestants. Each month, all submitted videos will be viewed by the RisingStar31 judges who will select twenty (20) qualifying finalists (provided enough are submitted). These twenty videos will be made available to the public for one week to view and vote on. The five top videos will be qualified to continue in the competition. This process will continue each month, until November 31, 2012, when the last twenty videos will be selected for voting. Once the final five finalists are chosen, the RisingStar31 judges will select the winning entry. The winning entry will be announced by December 31, 2012.
The criteria used in voting will be as follows: creativity, acting, and the ability to powerfully convey the message in the scene.
Individuals (public judges) may vote only one time, per month, per finalist. The use of robotic or automatic devices for voting is prohibited and Sponsor reserves the right to nullify all such votes and to disqualify from voting the responsible individual.
7. The Winning Prize(1): The Prize winner will receive $500 (awarded in the form of a check). The Prize is not transferable. Taxes, as applicable, are related to all prizes including income taxes, and are the responsibility of the individual winner (s). All other expenses and costs not expressly listed above are the winner's sole responsibility. Limit one prize per entrant/address/email address.
8. General Rules: Potential Finalists will be notified initially by email and/or phone. Potential Finalists (or parent or legal guardian if Finalist is a minor in his/her state of residence) will then be required to print out, sign and return via e-mail (or Mail) a Release Form within ten (10) days of notification attempt or the Finalist status will be forfeited and an alternate Finalist or Winner may be determined. Return of prize or prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and alternate determination. No substitution or transfer of prize permitted except at the sole discretion of the Sponsor who reserves the right to substitute a prize (or portion of prize) of equal or greater value in the event the prize is unavailable. By participating in the Contest, entrants agree to be bound by the Official Rules and the decisions of the judges. The Sponsor and its agencies are not responsible for technical, hardware, software or telephone malfunctions of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications caused by the user or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the Entries in the Contest or for any liability for damage to any computer system resulting from participation in, accessing or downloading information in connection with the Contest. The Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual that tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or Website; violates the Official Rules; or acts in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor's failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. If, for any reason, the Contest or online voting is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the Sponsor which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest, then the Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel the Contest or online voting and determine the Finalists from among all eligible Entries received prior to cancellation, based on the same criteria listed in Rule #6 above (excluding the number of votes if that portion is cancelled).
9. Release: You represent and warrant that: (i) all rights to the video belong to and are original to you, or you have written consent to use, and the video does not and shall not infringe on any copyright or any other third party right nor violate any applicable law or regulation, (ii) you have the right to grant any and all necessary rights and licenses provided herein, including without limitation, all necessary copyright and other related rights to the video, free and clear of all claims and encumbrances without violating the rights of any person or entity, including any right to privacy or publicity, (iii) you (and all those depicted in your video) hereby hold the Sponsor harmless from and against any third party claim arising from use of the video and you waive any right to inspect or approve uses of the video or to be compensated for any such uses. Participating in the Contest constitutes permission to the Sponsor and its agencies to use Entrants' names, biographical information, pictures/portraits, likenesses and/or voices, video, for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law. By participating in the Contest, the Entrant agrees that Sponsor, its respective parent, subsidiaries, affiliated companies, agents, retailers, advertising and promotion agencies, and all of their respective shareholders, officers, directors, employees and assigns, members, representatives and agents, will have no liability whatsoever for, and will be held harmless by entrant for any liability for any bodily injury, loss or damages of any kind to persons, including death, and property, due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from Entry creation, the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of the prize, if applicable or participation in the Contest or participation in any contest or related activity. You hereby represent and warrant that you have read these Official Rules and are fully familiar with its contents.
11. Governing Law, Jurisdiction and Venue: The Contest is conducted in English (which will be given its everyday ordinary meaning) and any and all disputes will be resolved in the appropriate courts in Florida in the United States, exclusively, and subject to the laws of Florida. Should there be any conflict between the laws of Florida and any other laws, the conflict will be resolved in favor of the laws of Florida in the United States.
12. Winners List:The name of the winner (s)will be available on or before December 31, 2012 at www.risingstar31.com
The Sponsor of the Contest is RisingStar31 Productions, P.O. Box 53371, Sarasota, Florida 34232